Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Indiana

I went to the University of Indiana for an audition with their Early Music program. Plans with every single one of my friends fell through for a road trip, so I had to go with my mom. Hmm...
But the school was WONDERFUL! I really want to go there. Imagine every practice room with a harpsichord. And everyone loves early music with a passion. They all understand it. It's bizzare and wonderful. 
In my audition I met another auditioner from Texas. Joel was social, normal, and cool. All three of those things are the opposite of what I think all early musicians are like. In fact, I met a lot of the singers from EMI (the Early Music Institute) and they all were like Joel--social, normal, and cool. Except for a few, but that's to be expected. 
I also met all of the faculty, and they were all laid back and fun, but serious musicians interested in making real music. They all reminded me of a different facet of Dr Crabb.
Joel asked me to lunch after our audition, so I took my mom along (which was painful) and we ate with him and his IU grad student friend. My mom was uncomfortable because she doesn't do well with people who are smart and talk about smart things. But I had a nice time.
The drive back from Indiana was not fun. My mother was a crazy and I couldn't do enough to drive home faster. But I made it back in one piece and I'm praying that I had a good enough audition.
I'll be really upset if I don't make it...

No comments: