Sunday, October 5, 2008

Music Rant

I'm about 75 % better, and about 65% done with my antibiotics. I think that's pretty good. I've still been pretty stuffy this weekend, so I've been lounging around my apartment, eating Thai chili while drinking tea, and knitting like a fiend. I started a hat last night and I'm almost done, but I think it's given me arthritis. It's super cute, though, so it's worth my crippling hands.

I sang full voice today for the first time in about a week and a half. That's how long I've been out. I sound okay. The voice is really strong, but it's still fairly difficult/painful to keep the sound forward (thanks, sinus infection) and I get this annoying buzzy feeling in my sinuses whenever I sing. Oh well. It's nice to be back.

I spent a lot of the weekend listening to Romantic Opera. Miss Todd recommended Adriana Lecouvreur, and so I listened to Mirella Freni all weekend and dreamed of making sounds like that all on my own.  I've had a lot of realizations so far this semester in terms of my voice and I think I finally know what's going on and what I have to do. It's frustrating because I can't listen to old recordings of me anymore--things I once thought were great are now glaring with these vocal faults--but it's exciting because I finally know how to move forward. 

I just can't wait till all of this drainage stops wreaking havoc in my face and then I can work on all of this.

Oh, and I finally loaded the files from my last night in Columbia on the computer. I got my ZOOM recorder at the end of the summer and was playing with it at Rachel AuBuchon's before I left and recorded our impromptu music-making. It made me miss her because I remember we were drinking wine and attempting Strauss, and there's a moment in the recording where she pauses just a little longer than expected in Morgen, and it took my breath away. It was nice to hear.

No comments: