Thought I'd put this up here for posterity's sake. When forced to feed myself with minimal ingredients on this snow day, I improvised. And I must say it's amazing.
Spicy Pumpkin Soup
-1 yellow chopped yellow onion
-1/2 diced jalapeno pepper
-2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
-1 Can of Pumpkin (NOT pie filling)
-2 and 1/2 C. Vegetable broth (mixing broth and water is fine)
-1 large spoonful of peanut butter
-Seasonings: salt and pepper, ginger, thai seasoning, any fresh herbs are fine.
1) Sautè the onion, pepper, and garlic in a pot with wok oil until onions are transluscent. Make sure to season the onions with salt and pepper.
2) Add the pumpkin and vegetable broth. It will probably be easiest to add the broth in the pumpkin can--less dishes. It's about a can and a half of broth. Bring to a boil, and then lower to a simmer. Simmer for about 30 minutes.
3) Stir in the peanut butter and season to taste. It will probably need a lot of salt. Simmer until peanut butter is dissolved.
4) Add coconut milk until soup changes color slightly. You'll only need about a 1/2 cup. Stir soup together. At this point you may either blend it or serve it.
5) Top with crushed cashews. It's really good!