Monday, October 26, 2009

Timely Turnips

Frank visited again this past weekend, and it was amazing. Crazy amazing. Crazeballs, even? But the real point of this post is the turnips we harvested from my garden on Saturday. Here's me pulling one of the little babies from the cold soil, courtesy of Frank:I don't know about you, but I've never really eaten a turnip before. But these puppies are so beautiful, I just HAD to cook them up.
And tonight I came up with this recipe:

Turnip Green and Lentil Soup

-Turnips (roots and greens, I used four little ones. But the more the merrier).
-1 potato, chopped
-1 onion, chopped
-1 apple, chopped (I used a gala, but whatever)
-apple cider vinegar
-stock (either chicken or vegetable, whatever is on hand)
-lentils, cooked
-brown sugar

1) Separate the turnip roots from the greens. Coarsely chop the greens, and cut the roots into large chunks.
2) Saute the onions until golden, then add the chopped greens. Cook until greens are soft and wilted--season well.
3) Add turnips and potatoes and a few tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. Cook approx. five minutes.
4) Add apples, and season with the usual suspects, along with a tablespoon or two of brown sugar.
5) Add as much broth as you desire. This doesn't make a lot of soup. Not to insult your intelligence, but add more broth if you want the soup to be brothier... Cook until the potatoes are fully cooked. Add the cooked lentils in at the end.

This soup is crazeballs! Like Frank!

1 comment:

Ed Grow said...

Amazeballs indeed! Keep the gardening pictures coming, it's so nice to hear about you and Mr. Adorable.

Every time I make butternut squash soup, I think of you and hope that you have enough money to buy a stale crust of bread, little matchstick girl.

Love.