Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The One-Year Wonder

Frank and I celebrated our one-year anniversary this weekend. Actually, the anniversary isn't until tomorrow... but we celebrated early, and it was one of the best weekend adventure's I've ever had!

We spent Friday night at a sweet Bed and Breakfast in Pleasant Hill, MO called the Mulberry Hill Bed and Breakfast. It was a in a huge Victorian house in a small town a few miles south of Kansas City. Even though our room was decorated like my grandparents' house, we absolutely LOVED it there--we watched Food TV for the first time in months (no cable here!), played Yahtzee (my first time--can you say "addicted?!"), and watched a movie on our new MAC BOOK PRO while playing in the jacuzzi! They also had a hot tub right outside our room, but it stormed all night and we just spent the evening in.

We went to dinner at a little Italian restaurant in Greenwood (a few miles away) called Perazelli's. You wouldn't think that you could order the best Italian meal of your life in small town Missouri, but this place was amazing! Our breakfast was provided at the B&B, of course, and it was ridiculously amazing (oh, forgot to add that we got complimentary dessert in our room before bed, and this innkeeper KNOWS how to make brownies!!!!).

We drove back to Kansas City on Saturday and spent the 100+ degree day at Oceans of Fun! Unfortunately just about everyone in KC had the same idea, so it was a little packed... but we really enjoyed ourselves! After spending six hours at the park (no joke!) we made a take-n-bake pizza at home and watched the sixth Harry Potter movie (which ended our marathon...). I, of course, sobbed like a baby for about an hour afterwards. Poor Frank...

Sunday started off normally with the typical four hours of church choir, but afterwards we had lunch at Sweet Tomatoes (literally across the street from our backyard--score!) and bottled our homebrew. Then we went to a pool party with Frank's chorale friends, drinking beer and basil mojitos in the water until we couldn't stand the cool evening breeze (WHAT? Finally!) any more.

Of course, in a party for chorale folks, my month-old chorale audition was foremost in my mind. I still hadn't heard yay or nay and after a month's worth of waiting, I was worrying it wasn't going to happen. BUT, strangely, as soon as Frank and I got home that night, I had an email from the group's assistant that I had been offered a position in the choir! Talk about coincidence! And good news! I am now officially a professional choral singer--I get paid for this gig--in a grammy-award-winning chamber choir! With my boyfriend. Woot!

Wednesday, for the actual anniversary, we have to go to church choir rehearsal... But we're making the best of it by going out for fondue afterwards. I think? What a great weekend--I'm happy with it all. And what a nice relaxing break, probably the only time to relax before Cortney's wedding in less than two weeks... wish me luck on THAT rollercoaster!



sloth-knits said...

Congratulations on the anniversary and the choir position!

Arwen said...

Yaaaaay such an awesome weekend! I'm glad you got to have super fun, and now that you know about KCC, you can just celebrate AGAIN. Awesome.