Monday, July 14, 2008

In the Midst of this Sunshine-Breathing Earth

Sometimes I wonder why I'm going into early music, because the world of music is so vast and I love it all.  Rachel and I are going to try to get together before I leave and work up some music for fun, so I've been going through new lit recently to find the perfect rep for us.  
Would you believe that the only lieder I did in my college studies was Mahler?  A LOT of Mahler, but nothing else.  And I love Mahler, but there's so much out there.  I like Brahms, but it's not my favorite--a little too folksy.  So, I got some Strauss and went through it this evening.
What have I been missing?  Of course I know his operas, and I know his virtuosic lieder.  But there are a lot of understatedly beautiful pieces I had never heard that I can't wait to do.  "Morgen" might be of the most beautiful pieces I've ever heard and I can't wait to put it in Rachel's hands.

And tomorrow the sun will shine again
And on the path that I shall follow
It will reunite us, fortunate ones,
In the midst of this sunshine-breathing earth...

How he sets that is so fitting and perfect, and it makes me wonder if Strauss was human to write it.  Or if humans are allowed to make music so perfect...

No comments: